Pentru limba română apăsați AICI.
Near the city there is a large number of protected natural areas and natural monument, for example:
- Piatra Andreaua natural reserve, in Sohodol, it has a total area of 1,00 ha. Excepting the special geological considerations, we can find here rare species of plants and animals and glacial relics.
- The springs of Izvarna natural reserve, in Izvarna village with a total area of 500,00 ha.it has the for big springs (Vaucluzian springs called by the locals “bâlbãros”) and Sohodol valley of Izvarna with endemic flora and fauna. There is a rare flower growing here called “thorn” and it has medicinal proprieties.
- Gura Plaiului cave: with a total area of 10,00 ha. It’ s located in the north of Topesti village on Gura Plaiului hill, it’s a speleological wonder with a length of 150 km, it’s a natural monument but it’s not prepared for turist at this moment so nobody visits it.
- Botanic natural reserve “Cotul cu aluni” belonging to the town of Tismana with a area of 25,00 ha. In the same area there is a forest called Eroni,this is the only forest in which the turkish nut three grows on a wide area.in south we can also find eatable walnut and chestnut threes,the reserve is neighboring this forest.on the cliffs of this reserve we can find beautiful forest of lilac flowers.
- The botanic natural reserve “Cioclovina”,near Tismana with an area of 12,00 ha. Is situated in the vicinity of the forest district. Near it we can find : in north beech and fir forests,age 60-70 years;in south pocruia forest;in east beech and lime forests,age 50-60 years;in west beech and fir threes among others,70-150 years,owned bu the forest district Tismana.
- Pocruia forest Tismana it’s a protected area of around 52 ha. Where we can find eatable chestnut threes also being a scientific reserve and we can also find beech and oak threes.
- Oslea mountain reserve belonging to Tismana and Pades village with an area of 280,00 ha it’s the highest peek in the Valcan mountains(1946 m).it has steep cliffs,plains with diversified flora with nigritella nigra and daphne cnemorum species.
Other geographic and touristical sights:
- “Steiul Coziei” and Tihomirului peak where researchers have found remnants of primitive civilisations from the neolitic era
- The stone of Iorgovan – it’s an ancient megalithic stone with three practical functions: it indicates the Cerna-Jiu pass, the north, and it borders two relief areas: the mountain area and the hills from the getic tableland. The stone has ties with the legend of Iovan Iorgovan who is said to have split the stone in two with his broadsword to test the strength of the metal, before cutting the head of the dragon.
- “Furniei” column : a megalitical stone which resembles a woman,it is also called “the mother.
- Menhirele din Gorgan – brute monolits
- The valley of sohodol: it’s a spectacular place,made out of calcareous rocks,the valley is very narrow and deep.
- “Pastravariei” falls and the church’s falls: they are a wonderful sight and can be better seen in the rainy season when they expand because of the rain. Also we can find lots of caves that have turistic potential like: Peștera Haiducilor (The Outlaws Cave), Peștera Pârgavului (Pârgavului cave), Peștera din Chiciura (Chiuciura Cave), Tismana Monastery’s Cave, Pocruia Cave, Sohodolului Cave, Fusteica Cave from Isvarna, The bats cave.
Churches and Monasteries: The most representative unit of cult from the level of locality Tismana is without a doubt Tismana Monastery. Tismana Monastery is the oldest in Romania, it’s construction began two centuryes before the coming of the pious Nicodim. On its place was an old church built around the year 1200. The beggining was set by Vladislav I ( Vlaicu-Vodã ) Basarab ( born 1325, dead 1377 ), ruler between 1364-1377, son of Nicolae Alexandru.
This church made from wall took the role and the place of the one really old ” made from tis and with hands “. The Monestery was finished by the sons of Radu I, son of Vladislav : Dan I ( 1383-1386 ) and Mircea the Old ( 1386-1418 ). Neagoe Basarab ( 1512-1521 ) covers it in slug and he gives a big plateau made from silver as thanks he escaped here from the persecutions of Mihnea the Bad, in 1509. The actual church dates since 1541-1542 and Matei Basarav ( 1632-1654 ) rebuilds the surrounding walls of the castle.
Also a big number of cult places, from them the oldest are :
- Church ” Good word” from the entry in the gorge of Valey Tismana
- Hermitage of Down Cioclovina, with cells, dates since 1715
- Hermitage of Up Cioclovina, dates since 1714
- The Wood Church from the locality Gornoviţa, dates since 1764
- The Church from the locality Vânãta, dates since 1714
- The Church from the locality Sohodol, dates since 1720
Museums and istorical monuments:
- The museum of traditional clothing Tismana was opened on the 10th of june 2007 the first of his kind in this county has unique pieces dating from the XIX century
- BNR Treasure Museum – from Tismana Monastery. The meeting of the caves near the monastery is arranged. Regarding the museum, the history of the BNR Treasury is widely presented, approaching Tismana, in the period 1944-1947. The presentation is in an attractive and richly illustrated attraction, regarding the information kept in the document from the NBR archive, mostly unpublished documentation. Also, in the music transactions, the efforts of the National Bank to keep safe in the Treasury are presented. There are efforts that are fulfilled with individual destinations of the banking trading functions that participate in the operation and with episodes from Tismana’s daily life.
The visiting schedule is:Monday-Sunday: 08: 00-17: 00.No visiting fee is charged.
- The church’s museum of Tismana was one of the first museums in the county opened at the initiative of “dorna tismana” society
- The monument from the town center was sanctified in 2002 so have the monument of captain Ion Neferescu and the fountain from nereaz hill