Near the city there is a large number of protected natural areas and natural monument, for example:
Other geographic and touristical sights:
- “Steiul Coziei” and Tihomirului peak where researchers have found remnants of primitive civilisations from the neolitic era
- The stone of Iorgovan – it’s an ancient megalithic stone with three practical functions: it indicates the Cerna-Jiu pass, the north, and it borders two relief areas: the mountain area and the hills from the getic tableland. The stone has ties with the legend of Iovan Iorgovan who is said to have split the stone in two with his broadsword to test the strength of the metal, before cutting the head of the dragon.
- “Furniei” column : a megalitical stone which resembles a woman,it is also called “the mother.
- Menhirele din Gorgan – brute monolits
- The valley of sohodol: it’s a spectacular place,made out of calcareous rocks,the valley is very narrow and deep.
- “Pastravariei” falls and the church’s falls: they are a wonderful sight and can be better seen in the rainy season when they expand because of the rain. Also we can find lots of caves that have turistic potential like: Peștera Haiducilor (The Outlaws Cave), Peștera Pârgavului (Pârgavului cave), Peștera din Chiciura (Chiuciura Cave), Tismana Monastery’s Cave, Pocruia Cave, Sohodolului Cave, Fusteica Cave from Isvarna, The bats cave.
Churches and Monasteries: The most representative unit of cult from the level of locality Tismana is without a doubt Tismana Monastery. Tismana Monastery is the oldest in Romania, it’s construction began two centuryes before the coming of the pious Nicodim. On its place was an old church built around the year 1200. The beggining was set by Vladislav I ( Vlaicu-Vodã ) Basarab ( born 1325, dead 1377 ), ruler between 1364-1377, son of Nicolae Alexandru.
This church made from wall took the role and the place of the one really old ” made from tis and with hands “. The Monestery was finished by the sons of Radu I, son of Vladislav : Dan I ( 1383-1386 ) and Mircea the Old ( 1386-1418 ). Neagoe Basarab ( 1512-1521 ) covers it in slug and he gives a big plateau made from silver as thanks he escaped here from the persecutions of Mihnea the Bad, in 1509. The actual church dates since 1541-1542 and Matei Basarav ( 1632-1654 ) rebuilds the surrounding walls of the castle.
Also a big number of cult places, from them the oldest are :
- Church ” Good word” from the entry in the gorge of Valey Tismana
- Hermitage of Down Cioclovina, with cells, dates since 1715
- Hermitage of Up Cioclovina, dates since 1714
- The Wood Church from the locality Gornoviţa, dates since 1764
- The Church from the locality Vânãta, dates since 1714
- The Church from the locality Sohodol, dates since 1720
Museums and istorical monuments:
- The museum of traditional clothing Tismana was opened on the 10th of june 2007 the first of his kind in this county has unique pieces dating from the XIX century
- BNR Treasure Museum – from Tismana Monastery. The meeting of the caves near the monastery is arranged. Regarding the museum, the history of the BNR Treasury is widely presented, approaching Tismana, in the period 1944-1947. The presentation is in an attractive and richly illustrated attraction, regarding the information kept in the document from the NBR archive, mostly unpublished documentation. Also, in the music transactions, the efforts of the National Bank to keep safe in the Treasury are presented. There are efforts that are fulfilled with individual destinations of the banking trading functions that participate in the operation and with episodes from Tismana’s daily life.
The visiting schedule is:
Monday-Sunday: 08: 00-17: 00.
No visiting fee is charged.
- The church’s museum of Tismana was one of the first museums in the county opened at the initiative of “dorna tismana” society
- The monument from the town center was sanctified in 2002 so have the monument of captain Ion Neferescu and the fountain from nereaz hill